Monday, November 9, 2009

Hot Potatoes


Hot Potatoes is a site that allows teachers to set up their classroom (teacher logs in then creates classroom users)online and create or use all sorts of quizzes and puzzles. These activities could be done as a class or the children could be asked to complete quizzes for homework or the children could go on the site in their free time to test their knowledge and play.

I like the idea of Hot Potatoes but I find that the site looks very unappealing and dull (black and white with basic design). If the site looks boring to me what are 8 year olds going to think of it? I think that because of the 'no distractions' way the site is set up it may make the quizzes and puzzles a bit of a chore to the children. This defeats the original purpose of Hot Potatoes, to engage the children. In saying that if Hot Potatoes is presented with enthusiasm and purpose the children will still become involved and have a good time learning.

Hot Potatoes would be a very useful teaching resource as there is a wide variety of made up quizzes, puzzles and games across a range of learning areas just waiting to be used. I feel it would be foolish of me not to attempt to use Hot Potatoes in the classroom for that very reason, despite my first impression of the technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment